Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Why I will sometimes laugh at death metal

I love heavy music. But sometimes it can get a little ridiculous. I mean, yeah. Pig Destroyer crushes, and they are all extremely talented musicians, but it will sometimes reach a point where you can only take so much of destroyingly fast blastbeats and wildly screamed vocals. At least, it happens to me. And when that point arrives, I begin to laugh. This may occur for a number of reasons.
One is that I just start to think how hilarious it is that there are bands that make music that will melt your brain if listened to for long periods. It's just so heavy that it's funny, which can be a good thing. Sometimes.
 Another reason is that I might be thinking about the song titles and/or subject matter. This one gets me the most often. Grindcore and Death Metal have legendarily brutal/stupid song titles. I will use the band Carcass as an example: "Fermented Innards," "Excreted Alive," "Festerday." There is NO ONE who can legitimately tell me with a straight face that something like "Regurgitation of Giblets" is anything more than the most amazingly stupid song name ever. And even if I'm jamming out to a blistering blastbeat, I will begin to chortle when the mere thought of some such song title creeps into my mind. I mean, it's funny. Come on.
The third and last reason worth mentioning is merely the extreme skill of the musicians creating said music. Some People may think that metal requires no skill to play, but they could not be more wrong. In fact, the combination of bizarre time signatures, extremely fast style of playing, and the requirement that it all be done while ferociously headbanging makes death metal one of the most demanding genres ever, and definitely one that cannot be played by any idiot with a guitar, as some might think. So sometimes my laughter is out of amazement at the skill of the musicians playing it.
But most of the time, it's because of how incredibly hilarious the genre really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment